Saturday, July 2, 2011

I'm an Idiot

when i initially started this blog i only imagined there would be two page viewz, my girlfriend and my parents, but it was a very nice surprise to see that some friends had checked it out and even had some positive things to say. thanks pals!
my parents have strangely gone out of their way a few times for my "art".  for example, braving from the midwest to seattles gay pride to watch their sons "queer" band play to hundreds of drunken lesbians, i actually got a call from my mother making sure that my sister wasnt going to be beat up/made out with to death. adorable. but i think my favorite was when a friend and i made a split record of country noise remixes from the early 90s. my mother had asked for a copy, which i imagined was just going to go in some keepsake thing, but when i visited, they wanted to hear it. after me repeatedly telling them that they, in fact, did not want to hear it, we all sat down together and literally listened to 45 minutes of pure noise with bits of "boot scootin boogie" and "amarillo by morning" melted through. if anything, that proves to me that they actually care.
after writing my last post i realized there was a few things i forgot to mention. one, being that tony visconti also co-produced the idiot, it was the only thing i actually looked up because i couldnt remember his name, but then i forgot to write him in the post. i just wanted to give credit, and not let bowie take it all. hes a pretty big deal producer, i only knew him through producing T. Rex and bowie stuff though. i guess hes quoted by saying that producing the idiot was pretty much a "salvage job."
namely what i wanted to say and didnt though, was that my friend eric told me about this really great krautrock documentary. i recently watched it and loved it. too many music docs made now about old bands do this thing where they associate those bands with new cool bands to make it relatable, "kill your idols" comes to mind. or they use fucking bono and flea, who must be the most bored dudes on the planet, because theyre in documentaries that arent even music related.
but this one does not do these things. it focuses on the social political challenges of the artist in post war germany, and the use of electronic and ambient music to make something new and their own. iggy and david are both in it, too,  so is brian eno, and theres nazis! its like a summer blockbuster. and its on youtube...

No comments:

Post a Comment